Paintball is a game in which players compete, in teams or individually, to eliminate opponents by tagging them with capsules containing water soluble dye and gelatin shell outside (referred to as paintballs) propelled from a device called a paintball marker (commonly referred to as a paintball gun).
As a whole, paintball is very safe, does not lead to major injuries and only hurts a little bit. In fact, based on severe sport-related injuries that lead to emergency room visits, paintball is safer than bowling.
How much a paintball hurts also depends on how much padding or protection you wear. If you are only dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, expect small bruises that will fade in a few days, while a sweatshirt or other thick clothing will usually prevent bruising. Some people will wear protective vests, but I have generally found these to be unnecessary.
Paintballs that break on bare skin will hurt, but this can be avoided by wearing gloves to protect your hands, backwards baseball caps to cover your neck, and long-sleeve shirts and pants to protect your arms and legs. Your head is already protected by your mask, and a shot to the goggles rarely causes any pain.
- Wear sturdy outdoor shoes.
- Wear Gloves
- Wear Layers
- Bring clothes for the ride home
- You should wear sturdy outdoor shoes when you play paintball. Lots of people wear hiking boots, football or soccer shoes. They should be shoes that you do not mind getting wet or dirty.
- There are certain types of shoes you should avoid when you play paintball. For your safety and comfort you should not wear High Heels, Sandals, or open toed shoes
- Since the shoes you play paintball in may get dirty, you should consider bringing an extra pair of shoes for the ride home.
- Getting hit on a bare hand with a paintball is painful. With gloves, it is not a big deal. There are gloves designed especially for paintball, but they are not necessary. Any inexpensive glove is likely to work.
- People often wear golf gloves, football gloves, batting gloves, and light work gloves. The important thing is to cover the bare skin on your hands.
- The clothing you wear while playing paintball serves two main purposes. One purpose is to help you regulate your body temperature. The other purpose is to provide padding.
- Most paintball fields play in rain, snow, or shine. It is therefore necessary to be prepared for whatever weather you may face.
- It is a good idea to wear loose-fitting long pants (not fitted jeans) and a long-sleeved shirt or jersey over a t-shirt, with an added light jacket in cool weather.
- You should dress so that you have no exposed skin when you play paintball.
- Our Woodsball fields are several acres of woods and brush. Chances are good that you are going to get dirty. Choose clothing with this in mind.
- Finally, we suggest that you bring an extra set of clothing and shoes for the ride home. This way you won't hurt those nice leather seats. If you are wet, the ride home is likely to be more comfortable in dry clothing.
- It is also a good idea to bring garbage bags to put the clothes you wore while playing paintball.